Cheddleton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CHEDDLETON, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Leek, containing, with the townships of Basford and Cunsall, 1525 inhabitants, the living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £300 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Edward Powys. The church is dedicated to St. Edward. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The Caldon branch of the Trent and Mersey canal, and the Uttoxeter canal, pass through the parish; the latter terminates near the village. Here are coal and lime wharfs, a silk-throwing mill, and an ale and porter brewery. At a field near Ferry hill is the shaft of a very ancient cross, eleven feet high, standing on three circular stone steps. In 1724, James Whitehall bequeathed £200 for teaching children, and £30 to build a school-room, to which charity John Bagnall gave a rent-charge of £5, the whole yielding £13 per annum, which is paid to the master.

BASFORD, a township in the parish of CHEDDLETON, northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Leek, containing 282 inhabitants.

CUNSALL, a township in the parish of CHEDDLETON, northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Cheadle, containing 182 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Cheddleton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library