Endon with Longdon & Stanley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ENDON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of LEEK which is in the northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (S.W. by W.) from Leek, containing 445 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry; of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Macclesfield. The Caldon Branch canal passes through this parish. There are two trifling bequests for the education of the poor.

LONGDON, a township in that part of the parish of LEEK which is in the northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 1 mile (W. by S.) from Leek, containing 350 inhabitants.

STANLEY, a township in that part of the parish: of LEEK which is in the northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (S.W. by W.) from Leek, containing 113 inhabitants; The Rev. Richard Shaw bequeathed £10 a year for teaching poor children.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Endon/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library