Croxden

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CROXDEN, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (N.N.W.) from Uttoxeter, containing, with the township of Great Yate, and a portion of the chapelry of Calton, 273 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £2. 11. 10. per annum and. £137. 16. private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Macclesfield. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. Gervase, Lord Pierrepoint, in 1715, bequeathed a rent-charge of £5 for the education of twelve poor children.

Bertram de Verdun, in 1176, gave the monks of Aulney, in Normandy, a piece of land at Chotes, or Chotene (probably Cotton), to build a Cistercian abbey, which three years afterwards was removed to Croxden, where he and all his family were buried, and also King John's heart; it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and at the general dissolution had an abbot and twelve religious, whose revenue was valued at £103. 6. 7.: the remains of this once stately and sumptuous edifice, situated near the Derbyshire border, exhibit good specimens of the early style of English architecture.

GREAT-YATE, a township in the parish of CROXDEN, southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (N.W. by N.) from Uttoxeter. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Croxden/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library