Hartshill with Trent Vale

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

HARTSHILL is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1843 from that of Stoke-upon-Trent, and is one mile north of the town, on a bold eminence commanding a most extensive view. The church of the Holy Trinity, which occupies an elevated site, was erected and endowed in 1842 by Herbert Minton esq. and is a building of stone in the Late Decorated style from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, two small chapels and an embattled western tower with spire containing a clock and 2 bells: there are sittings for 400 persons, of which 200 are free. The register dates from the year 1843. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence erected by Mr. Minton, in the gift of Joint Fitzherbert Campbell esq. of Woodseat, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Arthur Paice M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The population in this parish in 1891 was 3,859. Parish Clerk, Samuel Barlow.

TRENT VALE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed from that of Stoke, September, 1844, and 2 miles south-west of the town and is skirted, by the Newcastle canal, The church of St. John the Evangelist is a small building of red and black brick, in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, north porch and a north turret with hexagonal stone spire, containing one bell; in 1878 a vestry was added to the church: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1843. The living was a vicarage, gross yearly value £84, in the gift of the rector of Stoke, and held since 1854 by the Rev. John Wills Brown M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, and chaplain of Stoke workhouse. The population in 1891 was 1,594.

Parish Clerk, Abijah Garton.
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Hartshill/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library