Ipstones

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

IPSTONES, a parish partly in the northern, and comprising the joint township of Morrage with Foxt, in the southern, division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Cheadle, containing 1425 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £1000 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Freeholders. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is a handsome structure with a pinnacled tower, erected in 1790. The entire parish occupies a very elevated situation, but a great portion of it is composed of moors and peat mosses: it abounds, in several places, with rugged projecting rocks, which, overhanging their bases, in many instances, appear as if they would momentarily fall: at a place called Sharp Cliffs, this appearance is particularly striking. The soil is generally barren, but the face of the country has of late been greatly improved by plantations. The Uttoxeter canal and the river Churnet run parallel to each other through the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Ipstones/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library