Newchapel (or Thursfield)

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

THURSFIELD, a chapelry in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Newcastle under Lyne, containing 265 inhabitants. Dr. Robert Hulme, in 1708, bequeathed certain lands, now producing an annual income of £63. 4., for which eighteen boys are taught; and two others are instructed for an annuity of thirty shillings, left by Joseph Brown. James Brindley, of Turnhurst, the celebrated engineer, was interred here in 1772; a plain altar-tomb has been erected to his memory.

Editor's Note According to White's Directory of Staffordshire, 1852, Newchapel was then a chapelry comprising Thursfield, Chell, Wedgewood, and parts of Stadmoreslow, and Brerehurst townships; but since then, it appears to have become synonymous with Thursfield.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Newchapel/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library