Christchurch, Newchurch

Recent Photograph of Christchurch (Newchurch)

Christchurch is believed to date from 1806-08, designed possibly by Joseph Potter of Lichfield, according to the British Listed Buildings website, where it is listed with Yoxall. The website also provides the information that it was declared redundant, and closed in 1998.

Its parish records are listed by the Staffordshire Archives website with Tutbury parish, where it is recorded as “Needwood, Christ Church alias Newchurch, Holy Trinity”. They also provide the information that it was formerly a chapel of ease for the residents of Tutbury, Hanbury, Yoxall and Tatenhill parishes; and a new ecclesiastical parish was created in 1895, from extra-parochial areas of Barton-under-Needwood, Hanbury, Marchington, Marchington Woodlands, Newborough, Rangemore, Scropton, Tutbury and Yoxall.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 8th July 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Newchurch/Christchurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library