Norton in the Moors

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

NORTON-on-the-MOORS, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing, with the townships of Bermersley and Norton on the Moors, 1983 inhabitants, of which number, 1793 are in the township of Norton on the Moors, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Hanley. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. J. Wildig. The church is dedicated to St. James. The Caldon canal passes through the parish. Five poor children are educated for a trifling bequest by Hugh Ford, in 1730.

BERMERSLEY, a township in the parish of NORTON-on-the-MOORS, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 6 miles (N.N.E.) from Newcastle under Lyne, containing 190 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/NortonintheMoors/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library