Clifton upon Teme

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CLIFTON-upon-TEME, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of DODDINGTREE, county of WORCESTER, 10 miles (N.W. by W.) from Worcester, containing 520 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £6. 19. 2., and in the patronage of Sir T.E. Winnington, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Killom, contains some ancient monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is beautifully situated on a steep cliff, overlooking the serpentine course of the river Teme, by means of which the meadows and hop-plantations in the neighbourhood are irrigated. Edward III. made it a free borough, granting also a weekly market, now disused. Near it are the remains of Ham castle, formerly the residence of the family of Jefferies, which was nearly destroyed in 1646, by the parliamentary troops; it is now occupied as a farmhouse. There was anciently a chapel at Overton, in this parish, but, in 1532, Charles, Bishop of Hereford, with the, consent of the vicar of Clifton and the inhabitants, united it to the parish of Slandford, reserving to the vicar an annual pension of 13. 4d. in lieu of tithes and offerings due from the inhabitants of the chapelry.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/CliftonuponTeme/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library