Great Witley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WITLEY (GREAT), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of DODDINGTREE, county of WORCESTER, 5 miles (S.W. by S.) from Stourport, containing with the hamlet of Redmarley, 354 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £7. 6. 3., and in the patronage of Lord Foley. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an elegant structure, erected about 1760, by the first Lord Foley and his widow, to whom it contains a superb monument: the windows, painted by Price, in 1719, and the ceiling by Verrio, were brought from the chapel at Canons, when that princely mansion of the late Duke of Chandos was pulled down, and the materials sold.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/GreatWitley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library