Little Malvern

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MALVERN (LITTLE), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, though locally in the lower division of the hundred of PERSHORE, county of WORCESTER, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Upton upon Severn, containing 67 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, endowed with £1200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Mrs. Wallman. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, has been long in decay, part of it forming a beautiful and interesting ruin; it belonged to a Benedictine priory, a cell to the abbey of Worcester, founded in 1171, in a gloomy cavity near the ancient intrenchment termed the Herefordshire Beacon, by two brothers, Joceline and Edred, who were successively priors here: at the dissolution its revenue was valued at £102. 10. 9 Adjoining the church are some remains of the conventual buildings, converted into a dwelling-house, called Malvern Court. There is a Roman Catholic chapel in the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/LittleMalvern/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library