Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire, 1846

Transcriptions by Paul Bradford and Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001 & 2012


CURBAR, a township and small romantic village, situated in a hollow on the side of a lofty ridge of hills, of which the tops seem to overhang a continuous line of grit stone rocks, 5¼ miles N.N.E. from Bakewell, and 1½ miles N. from Baslow, contains 1,112A 3R of land, 75 houses, and 412 inhabitants, of whom 192 were males and 220 females. Rateable value £709. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor, which is freehold, and principal owner; Messrs Heygate and Co. are also owners. It is free of large tithe, and the small is paid by annnal agreement. The land is principally in grass, with a considerable portion of moorland, in some parts clay. At Stanton Ford, half a mile S. from the village, so named from a ford over the Derwent, with stepping-stones placed across, is a good school, and a house for the master, and endowed with about £15 per annum, for which ten children are educated. The Earl of Newburgh also pays for the education of ten boys. The village is noted for several fine springs. Feast first Sunday in August.

CHARITIES.- William Elliott, by will 1803, directed his trustees to pay and apply on St Thomas's day, in every year for ever, amongst the poor inhabitants of Curbar, the interest that should arise from his share or security of £100 in the turnpike road leading from Sheffield to Grindleford Bridge. The overseer now receives the interest, £5 per annum, which he distributes to the poorest persons, in sums varying from 2s. to 10s.

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2012.


Buxton George, beerhouse
Ellis George, stone mason
Ellis Thomas, stone mason
Green Thomas, tailor
Hallam Jane, vict. Chequers, Froggatt Edge
Hallam Thomas, vict. Bull's Head
Hulme James Hilton, Esq. Cliff house
Moore Edward, schoolmaster and surveyor
Rowbotham William, tailor
Sheldon George, boot and shoe maker

Allen Thomas
Barratt Daniel
Bennett Dorhy. Bents
Buxton John

Elliott John, Grislow field
Ellis George
Ellis Thomas, Ridding house
Marshall John

Marshall Nathaniel
Siddall Wm
Thompson John Jph.
Wilson Henry

Transcribed by Paul Bradford in April 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library