Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

THE SLAD is a village, which was formed Dec. 17, 1844, into an ecclesiastical parish from the parish of Painswick, from which it is 1½ miles south-east; it is 2 north-by-east front Stroud stations on the Great Western and Midland railways; it is on the road from Stroud to Cheltenham, in the Stroud division of the county, petty sessional division, urban district, union and county court district of Stroud, rural deanery of Bisley, archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. The church of Holy Trinity, erected in 1833, is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, west porch and a western turret containing a clock, erected in 1887, and one bell: the east window is stained: a pulpit of Painswick freestone and red Devonshire marble was erected in 1887, in memory of Miss Caroline Louisa Croome: there are sittings for about 350 persons. The churchyard was enlarged by the addition of half an acre of land given by Thomas M. Croome, esq. The register dates from the year 1833. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Painswick, and held since 1894 by the Rev. John Bevan M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford, who resides at Uplands, Stroud.

The church of All Saints, UPLANDS, erected in 1910, is a building of stone, and consists of a nave, and choir: the vestries are under the choir and under the nave is a large class room: there are 500 sittings. There is also a Congregational chapel, erected in 1867, with 180 sittings. The Grove, a modern mansion, was rebuilt in 1846 by William Capel esq. and is now the property and residence of Lieut.-Col. William Capel D.L., J.P.; the grounds are attractive, and on the north side is a fine beech wood. Lieut.-Col. William Capel, Samuel Gilbert Jones esq. and Egbert Augustus Wathen esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gravel and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,555 acres; the population in 1911 was 1,274.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library