Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

HIXON is a village, with a station, half a mile from the village, on the Colwich and Stoke section of the North Staffordshire railway, over which the London and North Western railway has running powers, 6 miles north-east from Stafford, 6 north from Rugeley and 133 by road and 130 by rail from London, and was formed into an ecclesiastical parish, September 1, 1848, from the civil parishes of Colwich and Stowe; it is in the Western division of the county, South Pirehill hundred, Stafford union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Rugeley, archdeaconry of Stafford and diocese of Lichfield.

St. Peter's church, erected in 1848, is a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a tower on the north side with a broach spire and containing one bell: a new organ was erected in 1893 at a cost of £211: the east window and the other chancel windows are stained, and there are sittings for 300 persons. The register dates from the year 1849. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £200, net yearly value £248, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Henry Briddon M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Wesleyan chapel here, erected in 1842, has 80 sittings. Wychdon Lodge is the residence of Thomas Hughes esq. J.P. Earl Ferrer; who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot, and Mrs. Chambers, of Walton Hall, Eccleshall, are the principal landowners. The soil is partly sand and partly marl; subsoil, rock and sandstone. The chief crops are barley and oats. The area is 2,000 acres; the population in 1891 was 476.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Jennings.

POST & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Joseph Jennings, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Stafford at 7 a.m; dispatched at 6.13 p.m.; sundays, 11.15 a.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Great Haywood for delivery & Chartley & Stowe railway station for dispatch of telegrams

National School (mixed), built in 1856, for 100 children; average attendance, 70; Miss Isabella Slinger, mistress

Railway Station, Charles Twigg, station master
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: https://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Hixon/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library