Astbury with Buglawton & Mossley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ASTBURY, a parish, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the township of Somerford-Booths, in the hundred of MACCLESFIELD, the market-town of Congleton, and the townships of Astbury-Newbold, Buglawton, Davenport, Hulme-Walfield, Moreton with Alcumlow, Oddrode, Radnor, Smallwood, and Summerford, in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 1 mile (S.W.) from Congleton, and containing 10,388 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £68, and in the patronage of Lord Crewe. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a spacious and beautiful structure, in the later style of English architecture: the interior contains several stalls, a rood-loft, and some fine screen-work; the ceilings, which are of oak, are richly carved; the east window is highly finished, and there are some fine specimens of stained glass. The nave is separated from the aisles by lofty pointed arches springing from clustered columns. The tower, which stands at the north-west angle of the church, and is surmounted by an elegant spire, appears to have belonged to a former edifice.

In the township of Oddrode, a church, or chapel of ease, has been erected by Mr. Dobbs, of Clapham in Surrey, which for a time was shut up, on account of some dispute respecting the patronage, but the service of the established church is now performed in it, the minister being appointed by the founder. The office of churchwarden devolves on the proprietors of six of the principal halls, and on the mayor of Congleton, who are styled Prcepositi, here termed Posts, and who in rotation nominate a deputy. A railway passes through the parish from Mole-Cop to a coal wharf near Congleton; and the Macclesfield canal proceeds at a short distance east of the village. The sum of £50 per annum, the bequest of John Halford, in 1714, is partly distributed among the poor, and partly applied in apprenticing poor children.

ALCUMLOW, a township, joint with Moreton, in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER. The population is returned with Moreton.

ASTBURY (NEWBOLD), a township in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Congleton, containing 569 inhabitants.

DAVENPORT, a township in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (N.W. by W.) from Congleton, containing 96 inhabitants.

HULME-WALFIELD, a township in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Congleton, containing 108 inhabitants.

MORETON, a township, joint with Alcumlow, in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S.W. by S.) from Congleton, containing, with Alcumlow, 129 inhabitants.

RADNOR, a township in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 1 mile (N.W.) from Congleton, containing 14 inhabitants.

SMALLWOOD, a township in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Sandbach, containing 584 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

SOMERFORD-BOOTHS, a township in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 2 miles (N.W. by N.) from Congleton, containing 285 inhabitants.

SUMMERFORD, a township in that part of the parish of ASTBURY which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 1 mile (N.W.) from Congleton, containing 107 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/Astbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library