Barthomley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BARTHOMLEY, a parish comprising the township of Batterley, in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, and the chapelries of Alsager and Haslington, and the townships of Barthomley and Crewe, in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 2333 inhabitants, of which number, 450 are in the township of Barthomley, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Sandbach. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £25. 7. 1., and in the patronage of Lord Crewe. The church, dedicated to St. Bertoline, exhibits various styles of architecture; it has a Norman porch on the northern side of the chancel. A school is endowed with about £10 per annum, the produce of various benefactions.

ALSAGER, a chapelry in that part of the parish of BARTHOMLEY which is in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (S.E. by S.) from Sandbach, containing 359 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of the Lord of the Manor. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school, for the education of children of both sexes, was founded and endowed by Mary, Judith, and Margaret Alsager, who also built and endowed the chapel.

CREWE, a township in that part of the parish of BARTHOMLEY which is in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (S.W. by S.) from Sandbach, containing 297 inhabitants. A charity school was founded in 1729, pursuant to the will of Thomas Leadbeater, Esq., who bequeathed £30 for the erection of a school-house, and £120 for the maintenance of a master.

HASLINGTON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of BARTHOMLEY which is in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S.S.w.) from Sandbach, containing 985 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1100 parliamentary grant. Sir J. Broughton, Bart, was patron in 1814. There is a place of worship for Independents.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/Barthomley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library