St Luke's Church, Odd Rode

Recent Photograph of St Luke's Church (Odd Rode)

“ODD-RODE (is) a township in the parish of Astbury, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 4 miles S.W. of Congleton. It is a station on the North Staffordshire railway. Lawton is its post town. The township, which is extensive, is situated on the Trent and Mersey canal, and contains the hamlets of Scholar-Green, Hall-Green, Kent-Green, Rode Heath, Thurlwood, Odd-Rode, and part of Mow Cop. The houses are well built, though somewhat irregular. A large portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the collieries and stone quarries. The soil is of a mixed nature, with clay predominant From the summit of Mow-Cop Hill, which rises to the height of 1,091 feet above sea-level, an extensive view is obtained.

The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £200, in the patronage of the Rector of Astbury. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. There are free schools for children of both sexes, entirely supported by the Wilbraham family, at whose expense they were erected. The Wesleyans have places of worship at Hall-Green and Mow-Cop. Old Moreton Hall is an ancient timbered house, built in 1549. Odd-Rode Hall is the principal residence. ”

(Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 30th June 2005.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/OddRode/StLuke.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library