St John the Evangelist's Church, Saltersford (3)

Recent Photograph of St John the Evangelist's Church (3) (Saltersford)

“SALTERSFORD (is) a chapelry in the parish of Prestbury, hundred of Macclesfield, county Chester, 4 miles N.E. of Macclesfield. It is situated near the river Bollin, and line of the Manchester railway. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring silk and cotton mills. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £70, in the patronage of the Vicar of Prestbury. The church was erected in 1731. This place gives the title of baron to the family of Stopford, earls of Courtown.”

(Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 28th July 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/CHS/Saltersford/StJohn3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library