Methodist Church, Ashbourne

Recent Photograph of Methodist Church (Ashbourne)

This Methodist Church dates from 1880, according to the date on the pediment. Kelly's Directory of 1895 tells us that:

“The Wesleyan Chapel, in Church street, erected in 1880-1, at a cost of about £4,860, is an edifice of red brick, relieved with Stanton stone, in the Italian style, and has 500 sittings. A Sunday and day school is held in rooms beneath the chapel.”

In comparison, from the same source:

“The Primitive Methodist Chapel, in Station street, erected in 1894, at a cost of £1,700, is an edifice of red brick, with Stanton stone dressings, and has 400 sittings.”

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 13th March 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Ashbourne/MethodistChurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library