Inside St Lawrence's Church, Barlow

Recent Photograph of Inside St Lawrence's Church (Barlow)

The present structure of Barlow church dates from about 1140, when Hasculf d'Abitot, who owned land in the area, persuaded the Cistercian house of Louth Park to build a church in return for a grant of land. The church then consisted of a nave and small chancel, and may possibly have replaced an earlier Saxon church. The window visible in the north wall (left of the photo) is believed to be contemporary with the original building.

The church also has a Lady Chapel, which is sited in a rather unusual position against the south wall. It was built about 1340 as a chantry chapel for the Barley family, who were lords of the manor.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Janet Kirk on 18th June 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Barlow/StLawrence5.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library