United Reformed Church, Buxton

Recent Photograph of United Reformed Church (Buxton)

The origins of Buxton United Reformed Church can be traced to an Independent Chapel in Spring Gardens, built by subscription, but by 1861 its congregation had raised sufficient funds to build a more substantional Church. Kelly's Directory of 1932 refers to the latter as being in Hardwick Mount, and “a building in the Decorated Gothic style, with a tower and spire at the south-west angle, and 500 sittings”.

Sadly, this building was demolished in the 1980s[1] however there is an old postcard showing it on the Buxton page of Churches of Britain and Ireland website.

The present day building (shown in the photographed above) is the former Sunday school, on Hardwick Square East, which dates from around 1880.

There are more details about the church on Buxton United Reformed Church website.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
[1] See the Archaeological Assessment Report for Buxton, on the Archaeology Data Service website (part of Derbyshire Extensive Urban Survey, p.24).


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 28th May 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Buxton/UnitedReformChurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library