St Peter's Church, Edensor (1999)

Recent Photograph of St Peter's Church (1999) (Edensor)

The present St Peter's Church replaces a 14th Century building. The rebuilding was commissioned by the 7th Duke of Devonshire, to a design by George Gilbert Scott. It was completed in 1868, and the new church was consecrated in 1870.

Scott based his design on that of the old church, and much of the old stone was used in the new, though it took two years to demolish, and complete the rebuild. It is supposed that this lengthy time was due to the care which was needed to preserve the Cavendish Monument (to William 1st Earl of Devonshire, and his brother Henry), which had to be dismantled and stored, whilst the rebuilding took place.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
Naylor, Diane - The Chatsworth Villages: Beeley, Edensor & Pilsey, 2005.


Image contributed by Andrew McCann on 9th April 1999.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Edensor/StPeter.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library