Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire, 1846

Transcriptions by Paul Bradford and Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001 & 2012

FOOLOW.

FOOLOW, township and small ancient village, chiefly inhabited by farmers and miners, 1½ miles W. from Eyam, 2¾ miles E. by N. from Tideswell, contains 979 acres of land, 60 houses, and 249 inhabitants, of whom 135 were males, and 114 females; rateable value, £1000. The Duke of Devonshire is principal owner and lord of the manor. The executors of E.B. Smith, Captain Thomas Hallows, Misses Carlyle, William and Robert Wyatt, Esqs., and Peter Wright Esq., are also owners, besides whom are several small freeholders. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £34, to the rector, who has a small claim on all the lead ore. The Methodists have a small chapel, built in 1810. Bretton, a few farms on a bold eminence, 1 mile N.E. from Foolow. Bretton Clough is partly in this and partly in Woodland Eyam township. Broster Field, a district ¼ of a mile south, and the Water Grove lead mine, are in this township.

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2012.

FOOLOW.

Those marked 1 are at Bretton, 2 Bretton Clough 3 Brosterfield.

Davis Eliz. shopkeeper
Froggatt Thos. vict. Three Horse Shoes
Gregory Saml. vict. Bird in Hand
Johnson Richard, Shopkeeper
Morton Athy. vict. Bull's Head
3  Platts Wm. boot and shoemaker
Wyatt Wm. & Robert Esqrs., lead merchants and farmers

FARMERS
2  Bagshaw Esther
2  Bagshaw George
Drabble John
Froggatt Wm.

Gregory George
Middleton Zaccheus
Middleton George and shoemaker
1  Moorhouse John

Palfreyman Jeffry
1  Townsend Thomas
Young Wm.

Transcribed by Paul Bradford in March 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Foolow/Bagshaw1846.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library