Eyam Woodlands, Derbyshire

White's Gazetteeer and General Directory of “Sheffield and 20 miles round”, 1862

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2000

WOODLAND EYAM is a township of scattered farms, 10 miles S.S.W. from Sheffield; it contains 1,033A. 1R. 4P. of land, and 258 inhabitants. Rateable value, £1,123 14s. The Duke of Devonshire, J.C. Athorpe, Esq., Messrs. Edward and Arthur Nowell, William Hallam, William Smith, Mrs. Elizabeth Mower, and John Greaves, Esq., are owners, with several other small freeholders. The Methodists have a small Chapel at Grindleford Bridge. Goatscliff is a cliff and brook, near Grindleford Bridge.

WOODLAND EYAM TOWNSHIP.

Those marked 1 are at Bretton Clough, 2 Grindleford Bridge, 3 Hazzleford, and 4 Leam.

2  Andrew Joseph, currier, Goatscliff
Booth Thomas, currier and farmer, Goatscliff; h Leam Hall
2  Green Thomas, beerhouse
2  Morton William, vict, Old Red Lion
2  Mower Mrs. Elizabeth, Mount Pleasant
2  Outram James, wheelwright and joiner
2  Outram Robert, millstone manufacturer, Padley Wood Quarry; h Goatscliff
2  Smith George, gardener
3  White Robert, gamekeeper

Blacksmiths.
2  Kay Thomas
2  White Robert

Farmers.
4  Eyre Benjamin
3  Howe Josiah
4  Holme Robert
2  Ibbotson Abraham
2  Kenyon John
2  Middleton John
Farmers (cont'd).
4  Outram Thomas
2  Simpson Thomas
4  Thorpe Sarah
1  Townsend Wm.
2  Wolstenholme Jno.
1  Wright Robert

Shoemakers.
2  Hancock Francis
2  Simpson Thomas
Shopkeepers.
2  Gordon Hannah (& tailoress)
2  Kenyon James (& school)
2  White Thomas

Carriers.
To Sheffield, John Kenyon & Thomas White, Tue., & Sat.

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from of an original edition in the Society of Genealogists' Library.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Grindleford/White1862.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library