Grindleford

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1932.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

By an Order in Council, gazetted May 5th, 1911, part of Hope ecclesiastical parish, viz., Nether Padley and Stoke, containing at the 1911 census a population of 168, was transferred to Eyam ecclesiastical parish.

EYAM WOODLANDS, with GRINDLEFORD BRIDGE, is a township on the Sheffield road, where a stone bridge of three arches crosses the Derwent. It is 2 miles north-east from Eyam and three-quarters of a mile from Grindleford station on the Dore and Chinley section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway. There is a Reformed Methodist chapel here. A memorial was erected in 1922 to 17 men of this township who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.C., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., T.D. is lord of the manor. The area is 1,009 acres of land and 11 of water; the population in 1921 was 519.

NETHER PADLEY is a hamlet and township in the union of Bakewell, 2½ miles north-east from Eyam and near Grindleford station on the Dore and Chinley section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway. The church of St. Helen, a chapel of ease to the parish church, is a building in the 14th century style, erected in 1910, and consists of chancel, south chapel, vestries and a temporary nave, seating 163 persons. The area is 804 acres of land and 12 of water; the population in 1921 was 165.

STOKE, is a township in the liberty of Stoke and parish of Eyam, 2 miles south from Grindleford station on the Dore and Chinley branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway. Stoke Hall, the seat of Capt. Michael John Hunter M.P. and formerly occupied by the Arkwright family, is a fine old rectangular mansion of stone, situated in a well-timbered park, on the banks of the Derwent. Capt. Michael John Hunter M.P. owns all the land here. The area is 504 acres of land, 200 of which are forest land, and 8 of water; the population in 1921 was 56.

Post, M.O.T. & T.L.D. Office. Letters through Sheffield
Post, M.O.T. & T.L.D. Office, Grindleford Bridge.
Letters through Sheffield

There is a telegraph office at Grindleford railway station with delivery on the station premises only

Omnibuses to Grindleford station, Maurice Kenyon & Edward White, meet all trains

Railway Station, Grindleford (L.M.& S)
[Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1932]

Historical Note The parish of Grindleford was created in 1987 from the separate townships, or hamlets of Eyam Woodlands (also known as “Woodland Eyam”), Stoke, Nether, and Upper Padley.

By far the largest of these was Eyam Woodlands, and for the purpose of these webpages it corresponds largely to the modern village of Grindleford. It extended as far as Bretton Clough to the west, included Hazelford and Leam to the north, was bounded by the River Derwent to the east, and by Goatscliffe Brook to the south. “Grindleford Bridge” was a settlement within Eyam Woodlands, its importance as a bridging-point being of ancient significance; in fact the traditional derivation of Grindle-ford being where millstones (‘grindel’ stones) from the nearby quarries were forded across the river. In an area which was in the past a major supplier of grind-stones, the suggested alternative derivation of the name - of a ford which has been ground away - is not so convincing.

Nether Padley township was on the opposite side of the Bridge. Stoke township was on the other side of Goatscliffe Brook, and extended as far Stoney Middleton Brook, where it bordered on Calver. Until 1911, when it became part of the parish of Eyam, Stoke belonged to the ancient parish of Hope, as did Nether Padley. Upper Padley anciently, and until 1987, belonged to the parish of Hathersage.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Grindleford/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library