Froggatt

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

FROGGATT is a township and village, 3 miles north from Baslow St. Anne, and 7 north-north-east from Bakewell, on the east bank of the Derwent, here crossed by an ancient stone bridge of two arches. Froggatt Edge is a steep ridge of gritstone rock, rising to a great height to the eastward. Here is a Wesleyan chapel built in 1834. The Duke of Rutland K.G. G.C.B is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil varies, some of it is loamy and a portion clay; sub-soil, gritstone. The chief crops are oats and hay. The acreage is 446; rateable value 336; the population in 1891 was 83.

Buxton Charles, farmer
Carnall Thomas, farmer & carter
Fletcher John, stone mason
Gill Joseph, farmer
Gregory Richard, nurseryman
Gregory Thomas, farmer
Mosley Joseph, farmer, Hay wood
Outram Jn. Chequers P.H. & farmer
Pybus Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Froggatt edge
Rollinson Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer
[Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Froggatt/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library