Calver

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

CALVER is a village and township, 2 miles north-west from Baslow St. Anne. The charities amount to about £2 8s. per annum. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1860. The extensive cotton spinning and doubling mills of Messrs. Tolson and Gibb are at Calver bridge, in a sheltered spot, on the river Derwent, which is crossed by a modern stone bridge of three arches to Stony Middleton. Charles Stephen Leslie esq. is lord of the manor and owns all the land. The soil is gravelly loam, on limestone. The chief crop is hay, and some land is used for grazing. The acreage is 775; rateable value £1,459; the population in 1891 was 371.

Broomhead Miss
Broomhead Mrs. Calver Sough
Bromley Mrs.
Gibb George, Calver Lodge

COMMERCIAL.
Bennett Martha (Mrs.), beer retailer
Birtles George, farmer
Blagden John, farmer
Broomhead Mary (Mrs.), baker & confectioner
Eades William, bookseller & draper
Froggatt George, farmer
Gilbert Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Gill William, grocer, draper & boot dealer
Greaves John, blacksmith
Gregory Roger, farmer
Gregory Thomas, farmer
Gregory Walter, farmr. & quarry owner
Hodgkinson William, farmer
Millington Joshua, quarry owner
Mosley Joseph, Eyre Arms P.H. & butchr
Robinson Robt. Derwentwater Arms P.H
Sherwin Seth, farmer
Slinn Ephraim, boot maker & news agent, Post office
Somerset Robt. farmer & assist. oversr
Somersett Jn. carpenter & cabinet mkr
Tolson & Gibb, cotton spinners & doublers, Calver mills
West John, Bull's Head P.H
Wild Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Wild Samuel, farmer
Winterbottom John, farmer
[Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Calver/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library