Curbar

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

CURBAR is a township and small village, formed into a parish in 1869, from that of Baslow St. Anne; it includes the townships of Calver and Froggatt, and is 5 miles north-east from Bakewell and 3 from Grindleford station, on the Dore and Chinley section of the Midland railway, in the Western division of the county, High Peak hundred, Bakewell Union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of All Saints, built in 1868, is a small edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch, and a small western turret containing 1 bell. There are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1868. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £81, net yearly value £242, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Baslow St. Anne, and held since 1870, by the Rev. Thomas Fosbrooke Salt B.A. of Oriel College, Oxford: the vicarage is on the hillside immediately above the church. Here is a Reformed Wesleyan chapel. Hulme Cliff College is in connection with the East London Institute for Home and Foreign Missions: about 50 young men receive a three years' course of education here before entering upon missionary work; offices, 53 Bow road, London E. The Duke of Rutland K.G. G.C.B., P.C. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The land consists of grazing and moor. The soil is loamy, with a considerable mixture of gritstone; subsoil, sand. The acreage is 1,153; rateable value £959; the population in 1891 was 336.

Parish Clerk, Edward Barnsdall.

POST & M.O.O., & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Calver.- Ephraim Slinn, sub-postmaster. Letters are received from Sheffield at 7.45 a.m. & 6.20 p.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. Wall Letter Box, Froggatt, cleared at 5 p.m.; Calver Sough, cleared at 6 p.m. daily; Curbar, cleared at 5.20 p.m. week days

National Schools. with master's house near church, & close to Calver bridge over the Derwent: erected in 1871 for 90 boys & girls, & 48 infants; average attendance, 110 boys, girls, & infants; Edward Barnsdall, master; Miss H. Moorcroft, assistant

Carriers to Sheffield.- Joseph Harrison, from Curbar, sat, returning same day; Thomas Froggatt, thurs. & sat. & to Bakewell, mon. & fri
[Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Curbar/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library