Curbar, Derbyshire

White's Gazetteeer and General Directory of “Sheffield and 20 miles round”, 1862

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2000

CURBAR is a small village and township, 5 miles N.N.E. from Bakewell; contains 1,095A. 3R. 35P. of land, and in 1861 had 332 inhabitants. Rateable value, £685 9s. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor, and owner of all the township excepting two small freeholds. At Stanton Ford, half-a-mile S. from the village, is a good school (and a house for the master), endowed with about £15 per annum, The village is noted for several fine springs of good water. Feast, first Sunday in August.

Ellis Thomas, stone mason
Green Thomas, tailor
Gregory Thomas, lead agent
Hallam William, Victualler, Bull's Head Hallam William, victualler & wheelwright, Bridge Inn
Hulme James Hilton, Esq., Cliff House
Moore Edward, schoolmaster and land and mine surveyor, Stanton ford
Moseley William, victualler and cattle dealer, Chequers, Froggatt Edge
Morton Thomas, stone mason
Norman George, gamekeeper
Rowbotham William, tailor
Pasfield James, pork butcher
Wild William, brewer's agen

Farmers.
Allen Thomas
Barratt Daniel
Buxton John
Ellis James

Ellis Nancy & John
Ellis Thomas
Elliott William
Froggatt George

Potter Thomas
Siddall William
Wilson Henry, Stanton ford
Worrall Emma

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from of an original edition in the Society of Genealogists' Library.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Curbar/White1862.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library