Curbar

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1932.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

CURBAR is a township and small village, 5 miles north-east from Bakewell and 3 from Grindleford station, on the Dore and Chinley section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, rural district, petty sessional division and county court district of Bakewell, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Chesterfield and diocese of Derby. The ecclesiastical parish was formed to 1869 from that of Baslow St. Anne, and includes the townships of Calver and Froggatt. The church of All Saints, built in 1867, is a small edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch, and a small western turret containing one bell: there are 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1868.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £345, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Baslow, and held since 1931 by the Rev. Arthur G. Kirby M.A. of Keble College, Oxford: the vicarage is on the hillside immediately above the church. Here is a Wesleyan reform chapel, built in 1861. Cliff College is an institution maintained by the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion for the training of lay preachers, and is the headquarters of the "Gospel Car Mission", which employs a number of evangelists to visit the rural parts of England. In 1907 the college was enlarged by the erection of the "Thomas Champness Memorial Wing", and in 1913 a wing was added in memory of the Rev. Thomas Cook, first principal of the college: in 1924 another wing was opened by the Rt. Hon. David Lloyd George O.M., M.P. The Rev. Samuel Chadwick is the principal landowner. The land consists of grazing and moor. The soil is loamy, with a considerable mixture of gritstone; subsoil, sand.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Curbar/Kelly1932.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library