Bagshaw's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Derbyshire, 1846

Transcriptions by Paul Bradford and Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001 & 2012

FROGGATT.

FROGGATT, a township and small scattered village in the chapelry of Balow, 6 miles N.N.E. from Bakewell, and 3 miles N. from Baslow, situated on a gentle acclivity above the east bank of the Derwent, contains 428 acres of freehold land - the tithes paid by agreement - 30 houses, and 136 inhabitants, of whom 70 were males and 60 females. Rateable value £328. The Duke of Rutland and the trustees of Barlborough Hospital are the principal owners; the former is lord of the manor. The soil is mostly on gritstone, with some clay. Below the village, the Derwent is crossed by an ancient stone bridge of two arches, of which one is pointed. There is also another bridge of two arches over the Derwent, within the liberty. Froggatt Edge, an abrupt ridge of lofty rocks on the east, from which several small rivulets constantly run; in one part a lofty cascade is formed. The Methodists have a small stone chapel, erected 1834. Feast, first Sunday in August.

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2012.

FROGGATT.

Gregory Sarah, beerhouse
Morton Thomas, stonemason
Morton William, stonemason
Smith James, gardener and nurseryman
Wilson Michael, vict. Masons' Arms, Edge

FARMERS
Buxton George
Gregory Joshua

Mosley Thos. Heywood
Neal John, Greenhead

Rollinson Wm
Wolstenholm George

Transcribed by Paul Bradford in April 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Froggatt/Bagshaw1846.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library