Hathersage

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1932.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

HATHERSAGE is a village, parish and township, with a station on the Dore and Chinley section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway (opened in 1894), 10 miles south-west from Sheffield, 12 east from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 16 north-west from Chesterfield, 9 north from Bakewell and 160 from London, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, rural district, petty sessional division and county court district of Bakewell, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Chesterfield and diocese of Derby. The parish is bounded on the north by the Yorkshire moors and on the west by the river Derwent, except the township of Stony Middleton, which is detached.

The village is situated in the midst of mountainous tract on the Chapel-en-le-Frith and Sheffield road, and is well supplied with good water from the large reservoir erected by the Bakewell R.D.C. and gas is supplied by the Hathersage and District Gas Company Limited.

The Derwent is here crossed by an ancient stone bridge of four arches, and there is a stone viaduct of seven arches carrying the Dore and Chinley line over small stream running through the village.

The church of St. Michael, standing on a commanding eminence at the upper part of the village, is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with north aisle or chapel, cleresstoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower of three stages at the west end of the nave, with a lofty octagonal spire and enriched with crocketed work at the angles, and containing 6 bells, three of which are without date, the others dating from 1617 to 1659; there is also an interesting sanctus bell of the 15th century, inscribed with a prayer for Robert Eyre and Joan, his wife.

A clock with Cambridge chimes was placed in 1879 by George Henry Cammell esq. J.P. in memory of his father.

Four Pointed arches on octagonal piers divide the nave from the aisles. The stone font has an octagonal basin of the Perpendicular period, and there is a carved oak cover. All the windows in the nave are stained, and include a memorial window to William Eyre, of Northlees, and Mary, his wife, erected by George Eyre esq. and his sisters in 1856; one presented by the working people of the parish, and two to Thomas Sayer esq.

On the north side of the chancel is an altar tomb under an elaborate stone canopy to Robert Eyre (an ancestor of the in Earls of Newburgh) and his wife Joan, with their effigies in brass, the knight being represented as bare-headed and clad in armour, with a sword by his side, his lady wearing a long robe and a double-peaked head-dress; only one of the shields now remains. At their feet is an inscription dated 1453-9, and the effigies of ten sons and four daughters; this tomb was restored by Frances, Countess of Newburgh, in 1832, and a small brass recording that fact has been inserted.

There are other monuments to members of the the family, one being that of Ralph Eyre and Elizabeth, his wife, consisting of brasses with inscriptions dated 1493, and now in the chancel; other brasses are those of Robert Eyre and Elizabeth, his wife, son of the first Robert; of Sir Arthur Eyre and his first wife, Margaret, with a long inscription; of Robert Eyre, who died at Trinity College, Cambridge, 1656, when an undergraduate; and of Robert, eldest son of William and Katharine Eyre (1675).

In the chancel is a brass to the Rev. John Le Cornu, for 50 years vicar of the Parish, who died in 1844.

There is a bronze tablet, on which are inscribed the names of the men connected with this parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-18.

In 1852 the church was to a great extent restored at a cost of about £1,800, when some fine stained windows were contributed by private individuals. A new organ was provided in 1907. There are 450 sittings.

The churchyard, profusely planted with holly, yew and variety of fir trees and shrubs, is the reputed burying-place of Little John, the favourite companion of Robin Hood; two upright stones, 10 feet apart, with a centre stone placed by the Ancient Order of Foresters' Friendly Society in 1929, mark the spot where his supposed remains rested until exhumed many years ago.

In the churchyard is also a fine tomb of grey Aberdeen granite to Charles Cammell, who died January 12th, 1879. On the south side of the church is the wide base of an old cross, with about four feet of the shaft, now supporting a metal sun-dial made by Daniel Rose, clerk of Derwent, in 1811.

The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1627, and of burials from 1628.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £327, including 54 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K.C., P.C., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., T D. and held since 1910 by the Rev. John Hoult Brooksbank B.A. of Oxford University, rural dean of Eyam and surrogate.

The Roman Catholic church here, dedicated to St. Michael, was rebuilt in 1806, and seats 150 persons; on the south side is a circular stained window.

The Wesleyan chapel, a building of stone, was erected in 1802 and enlarged in 1872, at a cost of £1,000. All the windows are stained, and there are 400 sittings.

The Wesleyan Sunday School and Institute, a building of stone, was erected in 1908, at a cost of about £2,000.

A Memorial Hall was built in 1928, seating 300.

The charities include £14 from Joan Morton's (Aston) charity, the Sylvester and Aston dole of £3 3s. distributed to the poor on St. Thomas' day, Eyre's charity of about £5 for the poor, Wright's legacy of about £5 to the Public Elementary schools, Ashton's benefaction of £5 for the schoolmaster, Gisborne's charity of about £7 for clothing and a benefaction of £3 to the vicar for preaching a charity sermon on St. Thomas' day.

The Hathersage Association for the Prosecution of Felons was formed in 1784 by Henry Ibbotson Carr Head, George Morton and Richard Oliver, yeomen, of Hathersage.

There are quarries here, and millstones are made.

Near to the town, some distance north of the church, earthwork named "Camp Green" supposed to be of Danish origin; and on Hathersage Moor are several rock basins and other formations, attributed to the Celts, as well as a rude sort of fortress on the summit of the hill called "The Carl's Work".

A sheep dog trial is held annually on the first Thursday in September at Longshaw Lodge.

The fair is on the first Friday after the nearest Sunday to Old Michaelmas Day.

Longshaw Lodge, 8 miles north-east, is a handsome stone mansion, surrounded by park-like grounds and moor land.

Brookfield Manor, an ancient stone mansion, beautifully situated and surrounded by a fine park, is the residence of Thomas Carter esq.

The Nether Hall, a mansion of stone, situated on the hanks of the Derwent, is the property of Maj. Ashton A. Shuttleworth T.D., J.P. and the residence of Walter Shirley Davy esq.

The Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.C., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., T.D. (lord lieut.) is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.C. Maj. Ashton Shuttleworth T.D., J.P. and the Sheffield Corporation.

The soil is various; subsoil, gritstone. The area of Hathersage township is 3,399 acres of land and 20 of water; the population of the township in 1921 was 1,694, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 2,011.

Post, M.O., T. & T.E.D. Office. Letters through Sheffield.

OUTSEATS is a township in the parish of Hathersage. The area is 4,308 acres of land and 7 of water; the population in 1921 was 326.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Hathersage/Kelly1932.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library