Hathersage, Derbyshire

White's Gazetteeer and General Directory of “Sheffield and 20 miles round”, 1862

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2000

HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.

HATHERSAGE parish contains the townships of Hathersage, Bamford, and Outseats, with the chapelries of Derwent and Stoney Middleton, all in the High Peak Hundred, and, together containing 13,564A. 1R. 23P. of land, in 1861 had 2,371 inhabitants. Rateable value, £7,542 2s. 5d. There are several bequests left to the parish for charitable and educational purposes.
Hathersage
Hathersage Directory
Bamford
Bamford Directory
Outseats
Outseats Directory
Derwent
Derwent Directory
Stoney Middleton
Stoney Middleton Directory

HATHERSAGE is a large flourishing village and township, 11 miles S.W. of Sheffield, contains 2,958A. 0R. 19P. of land, and in 1861 had 991 inhabitants, most of whom are employed in the manufacture of needles, hackles, gill pins, &c., for which the village is noted. Rateable value, £2,385 17s. 6d. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor and a small owner; J.S.A. Shuttleworth, Esq., the Duke of Rutland, Miss H. Wright, Thomas Eyre, Esq., and Robert Cook, Esq., have also considerable estates here, besides whom are several small freeholders. The Church (St. Michael) is a handsome structure in the later style of English architecture, consists or nave, chancel, side aisles, and tower with spire, and has a peal of six good bells. In 1851-2 the church was thoroughly restored. In the churchyard is the gravestone of Little John, the companion of Robin Hood. The vicarage, value £120, is in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire the Rev. Thomas Stevens, incumbent. The Wesleyans and Catholics have each places of worship here. The National School is a neat stone building, erected in 1868, at a cost of £750 (raised by subscription), exclusive of the land, which was given by Thomas Eyre, Esq. The School, which is well-attended, and has a small endowment, is taught by Thomas Girling and Mary E. Bland. Rock House, in the centre of the village, is a private educational establishment for young gentlemen of the Catholic persuasion. It is conducted by Mrs. Gibson. The old Endowed School has been converted into a reading room. Near the Catholic Chapel is a small neat Catholic School, erected by subscription in 1861. A fair is held on the last Friday after Old Michaelmas day, and the feast on the Sunday before the fair. The Hall, a handsome mansion; is the seat and property of J.S.A. Shuttleworth, Esq. CAMP GREEN, a little east of the Church, is supposed to have formerly been the site of a Danish camp. BOOTHS is a small village, half a mile E. FOX HOUSE is a noted Inn, 3 miles E.; and LONGSHAW, a shooting box, 3 miles S.E., the property of the Duke of Rutland.

BAMFORD is a pleasant village and township, 2½ miles N.W. from Hathersage, contains 1,733A. 3R. 19P. of land, and in 1861 had 857 inhabitants, Rateable Value, £1,233 16s. The principal owners are, Wm. C. Moore, Esq., Messrs. J. and W. Hibberson, Messrs. C. and H.J. Robinson, J.S.A. Shuttleworth, Esq., Thos. Eyre, Esq., Mr. Taylor, Mr. J.G. Platts, Mr. S. Hawke, Mr. Jph. Hancock, and Messrs. J.A. and J. Merryman. The Church (St. John the Baptist) is a handsome edifice in the early English style. It was consecrated on the 17th October, 1861, and contains 250 sittings, the whole of which are free. The cost of erection was £3,434, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £200 from the Diocesan Society. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the gift of W.C. Moore, Esq.; the Rev. Edmund V. Amery, incumbent. The Wesleyans have a small Chapel here. The School is a neat structure, erected in 1841, at a cost or £300. Here is a large factory for doubling cotton, which gives employment to upwards of 800 hands; Messrs. S.M. Moors & Son are the proprietors. SICKLEHOLME comprises two farms, 2 miles W., near which is MYTHAM BRIDGE, a neat modern erection, built in 1857, on the site of a more ancient structure, which was washed down by the great flood on August 7th, 1856.

DERWENT is a scattered township and chapelry, 6 miles N.N.W. from Hathersage, contains 3,327A. 2R. 30P. of land, and in 1861 had 164 inhabitants. Rateable value, £867 6s. 6d. The Duke of Devonshire, Duke of Rutland, Francis Newdigate, Esq., and Misses Rodgers, are the principal owners. The Church (St. James) is a stone edifice, with a turret and one bell. The perpetual curacy, value £83, is in the gift of Lord Denman; the Rev. G.W. Guest is the incumbent. The Parsonage, a neat residence, was built in 1859. The Methodists have a small Chapel at Ashopton. The School, which is taught on the National plan, has an income of about £6 per annum. The Hall is a venerable structure, the seat of G. Newdigate, Esq. Ashopton Inn, on the Sheffield and Glossop road, is a commodious house, about 11 miles W. of Sheffield, the proprietor of which has the sole right of the Ashop and Derwent trout streams, which are strictly preserved. Feast, nearest Sunday to St. James's day.

OUTSEATS township consists of scattered houses, extending to nearly 2 miles N. from Hathersage, and containing 4,352A. 3R. 18P. of land, and in 1861 had 251 inhabitants. Rateable value, £1,436 3s. 11d; Miss H. Wright, J.S.A. Shuttleworth, Esq., and Mrs. N. Shaw, are the principal owners.

HATHERSAGE.

Post Office, at William Cresswell's. Letters arrive from
Sheffield at 7.35 a.m., and are despatched at 6 p.m. Money Orders
are granted and paid from 9 a.m. till 5.30 p.m.
Bland Mary Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Blundell George, warehouseman
Blundell Harriet, draper
Bright Joseph, Esq., Nether Hall
Broomhead Joseph White, assistant grocer, Eastwood Cottage
Cocker Mrs. Nancy
Cocker Joseph Robert, merchant and manufacturer
(Cocker & Sons); h Bellevue
Cook Richard George, merchant and manufacturer
(Cook Robert and Co.)
Cook Robert, Esq., Barnfield House
Cooper George, timber mert. & saw mills
Cresswell William, cashier and postmaster
Elliott Misses Elizabeth and Maria
Eyre Thomas, Esq., Moor seats
Frith Seth, mnfr. of music wire & par. clerk
Froggatt Richard, collector of poor rates, and property and income tax, and surveyor of Highways, Bell Inn
Gibson Mrs. G.M., Catholic boarding, school for young gentlemen, Rock House
Girling Thomas, schoolmaster
Gordon James, head gamekeeper, Plantation Lodge
Hibbert Joseph, police sergeant
Hodgkinson John, surgeon.
Le Dreau Rev Louis Michael, catholic priest
Marples Thomas, saddler
Middleton Mrs. Betty
Moore, Mrs. Mary Ann
Morton, Mr. William
Sherriff Mrs. Elizabeth, Rose Cottage
Shuttleworth John Spencer Ashton, Esq. Hall.
Smith James, gamekeeper, Booths
Spencer George Holmes, merchant & manufacturer
(Cook Robt. & Co.) h Derwent Villa
Stevens Rev. Thomas, Vicarage
Taylor Joseph Henry, surgeon
Inns and Taverns.
Bell Inn, Richard Froggatt
Fox House Inn, John Thompson
George Inn, George Eadon
Millstone, Elizabeth Wilkins, Booths
Ordnance Arms, Richard Perks
Scotchman's Pack, Ann Taylor
Millstone Manufacturers.
Child, William, John, and Thomas, Tagney's and High Tor Quarries
Cooper John, Peak quarries
Hattersley William, Booth Edge and Oller Tor Grey Millstone
Quarries
Shuttleworth John S.A., Bolehill Quarries
Needle, Hackle, & Gill Pin Mnfrs.
Child Tobias, merchant and manufacture of cast steel wire and hackle and gill pins of every description, Victoria Works
Cocker and Sons, merchants and manufacturers of cast steel of various qualities, cast steel wire, drilled eyed needles, hand and machine hackle, copper gills of all kinds;, hackle and gill pins; combs and porcupines for flax, wool, and silk; wool combers' broaches, spiral, loom, and other springs; temples, temple teeth awl blades, fish hooks, &c., Atlas Works
Cook Robert and Co., merchants and manufacturers of steel & files, wire, needles of every description, hackle and gill pins, machine and hand hackles, gills, spiral springs; umbrella ribs, stretchers and all kinds of furniture for umbrellas; houses, 9, Gresham street, London; 49 Rue S. Sauveur, Lille; 17 Rue des 2 Portes, S. Sauveur, Paris

Beerhouses.
Frost Jph., Bugtrap
Smith Sarah, Leach

Blacksmiths.
Buttery John
Grayson John
Wainwright Charles

Butchers.
Grayson Thomas
Frost Joseph
Harrison Joseph

Farmers.
Bradbury Samuel
Bradwall, Hugh, Cliffe House
Bright Jph., Nether Hall
Broomhead Henry
Broomhead Robert
Broomhead Thomas
Elliot Alexander, Toothill
Gill Paul, Scraper ln
Hall Jonathan
Hattersley John
Hodgkinson John, Lane head
Ibbotson Chas., Gate House
Ibbotson Eliz., Gate House
Ibbotson Joseph, Booths
Ollerenshaw John
Miles Thomas, Kimbercote
Farmers (cont'd).
Portland Jno. Greenwood
Priestley John, Overstone
Priestley Peter, Mitchell field
Silvester Samuel C.
Smith John Leach
Smith Sebastian (& cattle dealer)
Swindell William, Harper Lees
Taylor Ann
Thompson Jno., Fox House Inn
Thorpe Seth, Padley
Turner Ruth, Old Hall
Watts Hannah,
Wilkins Elizabeth

File & Steel Mfrs.
Spencer and Co.

Joiners & Bldrs.
Smith Benjamin
Wilson George (and wheelwright)

Quarry Owners.
Hall Jonth., Reeve Edge
Simpson George, High Lees Townsend William, Moscar & Wadsley

Shoemakers.
Bruster Richard
Buttery James
Hobson James
Taylor Henry
Shopkeepers.
Broomhead Henry
Broomhead Thomas (draper & miller)
Burrows Benjamin.
Darvil John
Slack Ann

Stone Masons.
Gell Thomas
Whall Benjamin
Wilson James

Tailors.
Eyre William
Wiggett George

Omnibusses.
Royal Mail, to Sheffield daily, at 6 p.m., and to Hope and Castleton at 7.45 a.m.
To Sheffield, Tues., Thurs., and Sat., at 7.30 a.m.
To Hope, Castleton, and Bradwell, at 6.30 p.m.
The above Busses (sic) call at the George and Ordnance Inns.
Carrier.
To Sheffield, John Hattersley, Tues., Thurs., and Sat.

Amery Rev. Edmund V., M.A., incumbent
Andrew John, linen draper
Barber John, shepherd
Barker Thomas, joiner
Cotterill Matthew, gamekeeper
Derwent Joseph, bobbin turner
Derwent John, joiner
Derwent Samuel, joiner
Ellis William, coachman
Haslam Jonathan, mill manager
Hill Abner, cashier
Kirk John, mill overlooker
Marshall M. and R., National School
Middleton Samuel, mill overlooker
Moore S.M. and Son, cotton doublers
Moore William C., Esq.
Palmer James, mill engineer
Phips Henry, mill overlooker
Robinson Frederick, machinist
Robinson John, machinist
Revill Samuel, gas maker
Turner Joseph, butcher
Wainwright William, blacksmith, Mytham Bridge
Walton William, machinist

Inns and Taverns.
Anglers' Inn, James Tagg
Yorkshire Bridge Inn, George Fox

Farmers.
Cotterill Henry
Cotterill William
Fox George
Hibberson John (& veterinary surgeon & collector of property, income, and assessed taxes) Sickle Holme
Hibberson William, Sickle Holme
Ibbotson Ann
Jowle Rebecca
Marsden Ambrose
Merriman Mary Ann
Moore William C.
Platts George
Robinson James
Shaw Thomas
Farmers (cont'd).
Tagg James
Turner Henry
Woodhouse William

Shoemakers.
Eyre George
Littlewood John
Shaw John
Shaw Thomas

Shopkeepers.
Ibbotson Ann
Jowle Christopher
Robinson Matilda
Thorpe Ruth
Woodhouse William (and beerhouse)
Slaters.
Bradbury Benjamin
Bradbury Charles
Bradbury Chas., jun.
Bradbury William

Stone Masons.
Harrop Joseph
Marsden Charles
Melland John

Tailors.
Barker Joseph
Robinson John

Wheelwrights & Carpenters.
Marsden Ambrose
Moulson Thomas

DERWENT TOWNSHIP.

Those marked * are at Cocks Bridge.

Cotterill Jonathan, beerhouse, Lady Bouer Inn * Ellis Benjamin, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Fletcher Benjamin, schoolmaster
Guest Rev. George William, incumbent, Parsonage
* Marshall Joseph, joiner and wheelwright
Newdigate George, Esq., Derwent Hall
Robinson Charles Henry, victualler, Ashopton Inn
Rose Reuben, shoemaker
Shepherd Mrs. Ann Elizabeth
* Thorp Ephraim, woodman
Thorp John, corn miller
Thorp John, jun., victualler, Derwent Inn

Farmers.
Bridge Thomas, Tinwood
Cotterill John
Cotterill Jonathan Lady Bouer Inn
Dawson Matthew
Dronfield Ambrose
Elliot Joseph, Ash House

Oates Benjamin, Gravefoot
Ibbotson Joseph Moscar House
Robinson Chas, H. Ashopton Inn
Shepherd George
Shepherd Joel
Thorp David

Thorp John, Wilkin House
Thorp Matthew
Thorp William
Walker William
Wilson Chas., Abbey
Wilson John, High House

Cocker Joseph R., mert. & mnfr.; h Bellevue
Eyre Misses A.M. & H., North Lees Hall
Hickson William, woodman
Marsden Charles manufacturer of coarse brown paper, Greens House Paper Mill
Middleton George, plumber and glazier
Ronksey Isaac, beerhouse
Wright Miss Hannah, Brook Field

Farmers.
Bradwell Hugh
Crossland Samuel, Birley
Eyre George, North Lees Hall
Farnsworth Miss
Grayson Benjamin

Grayson Thomas
Ibbotson Charles
Ibbotson Henry
Littlewood Ellis
Littlewood Robert

Marsden Charles
Platts John, Nether Hirst
Priestley George, Greens House
Thorpe Hy., Nether Hirst
Wilson Jas., Nether Hirst

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in June 2000
from of an original edition in the Society of Genealogists' Library.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Hathersage/White1862.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library