Hayfield

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HAYFIELD, a chapelry in the parish of GLOSSOP, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Chapel en le Frith. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £500 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of certain Trustees. The chapel was rebuilt in 1420, at the expense of Robert de Kinder. There are places of worship for Independents at Chinley, and for Methodists at Hayfield, Chinley, and New Mills. The free school, held in the ancient grammar school-house, was endowed, in 1604, by John Hyde, with an annuity of £10; the income, with various augmentations, amounts to £20. 6. 2.; fifteen children are instructed. Eight children are likewise taught by a schoolmistress, for which purpose Mrs. Dorothy Hague bequeathed £16 per ann. Fairs are held on May 11th, for horses and cattle, and July 23rd for sheep and wool.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Hayfield/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library