Mellor

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MELLOR, a chapelry in the parish of GLOSSOP, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, comprising the townships of Mellor and Ludworth, and the hamlet of Whitle, and containing 4872 inhabitants, of which number, 2099 are in the township of Mellor, 8 miles (N.W.. by N.) from Chapel en le Frith. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £400 private benefaction and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Trustees of the late John Thornton, Esq.

The chapel, dedicated to St. Thomas, is very ancient; the pulpit is carved out of an old oak-tree, and the font is also rudely carved. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, and at Marple Bridge one for Independents. A free school was built about 1639, and endowed with £160 bequeathed by Thomas Walk late, to which some trifling augmentations have been made by subsequent benefactors; the income is £25 per annum, and all the children of the chapelry who apply are educated at a small charge. Here are extensive cotton works, which, afford employment to a considerable portion of the inhabitants.

CHISWORTH, a township, joint with Ludworth, in the parish of GLOSSOP, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 9 miles (N.N.W.) from Chapel en le Frith. The population is returned with Ludworth.

LUDWORTH, a township, joint with Chisworth, in the parish of GLOSSOP, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 9 miles (N.W. by N.) from Chapel en le Frith, containing, with Chisworth, 1077 inhabitants.

WHITTLE, a hamlet in the parish of GLOSSOP, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 6 miles (N.W.) from Chapel en le Frith, containing 1696 inhabitants.
[Ed: Lewis also places Whitle with New Mills]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Mellor/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library