King Sterndale

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

KINGSTERNDALE is a civil parish, formed in 1895 from the civil parishes of Bakewell, and Hope, and is on the river Wye, 3 miles east from Buxton station on the Derby, Matlock and Buxton sections of the Midland railway, and 9 north-west from Bakewell, in the Western division of the county, Bakewell hundred and petty sessional division, Chapel-en-le-Frith union and county court district, rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1851.

Christ Church, erected in 1848, is a small building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell: the chancel is lighted by three stained lancet windows; there are two others at the west end the church affords 130 sittings. The register dates from the year 1851. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £136, with residence, in the gift of the Misses Pickford, and held since 1890 by the Rev. George Allen Dawson. Here are the remains of an ancient stone cross. The principal landowners are the Misses Pickford, John James Lees, of Woolow and John Cookson esq. of Manchester. The soil is a brown loam; subsoil, limestone. The land is chiefly used for grazing purposes, the arable growing oats. The population in 1891 was 221; rateable value, £1,644.
[Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/KingSterndale/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library