Monyash

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MONYASH, a chapelry in the parish of BAKEWELL, hundred of HIGH-PEAK, county of DERBY, 4 miles (W.S.W.) from Bakewell, containing 381 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Bakewell, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £1200 royal bounty. The chapel, dedicated to St. Leonard, has a low tower and spire. There is a meeting-house for the Society of Friends. A court of miners, for the hundred of High Peak, is held here once in six months, at which all pleas of debt, and disputes as to title, relating to the lead mines within the hundred, are determined by the steward and barmasters, assisted by a jury of twenty-four persons.

Monyash is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Chapel en le Frith every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s. A schoolhouse was built by subscription, in 1750, towards the endowment of which, the commissioners for enclosing waste lands subsequently awarded fourteen acres, now producing an annual income of about £17, which sixteen poor children are educated free. At Rucklow-Dales are extensive rocks of grey much admired for its variegated surface, of which a large quantity is quarried; and near them rises the river Lathkill, noted for the beautiful scenery on its banks.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Monyash/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library