Morton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MORTON, a parish in the hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 3 miles (N.) from Alfreton, containing, with the chapelry of Brackenfield, 502 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £11. 10., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty, and in the alternate patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, and the Turbutt family. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross.

BRACKENFIELD, a chapelry in the parish of MORTON, hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 4 miles (N.W.) from Alfreton, containing 353 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Morton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library