South Normanton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

NORMANTON (SOUTH), a parish in the hundred of SCARSDALE, county of DERBY, 2 miles (E.N.E.) from Alfreton, containing 1056 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £9. 15. 5., and in the patronage of Sir E. Wilmot, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A charity school is supported by voluntary contributions. Some collieries are in operation in the neighbourhood, but the inhabitants are principally employed in frame-knitting. Jedediah Strutt, Esq., the ingenious inventor of the machine for manufacturing ribbed stockings, was born here.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/SouthNormanton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library