St Michael & All Angels Church, Sheldon

Recent Photograph of St Michael & All Angels Church (Sheldon)

According to Kelly's Directory of 1895, St Michael & All Angels Church was was erected in 1865, taking the place of an earlier building on the village street. It has an apsidal chancel, nave, south porch and a bell turret with one bell, and there are 140 sittings. It is not visible from the road, but the turning offroad to reach it can be found a short distance east, and on the opposite (north) side of the road to the Cock & Pullet Inn.

There is a note in a printed transcription of Sheldon parish register (covering the periods 1672-75 and 1745-1810 for baptisms, and 1745-1812 for marriages) to the effect that “The Register Commenced in the year 1745 when the Queen's Bounty & Mrs Archer's Augmentation made Sheldon a private Curacy when John SWIFT B.A. was first Curate there”. However burials didn't take place here until after 1853, when its churchyard was first consecrated for burials. Prior to this burials are known to have taken place at both Chelmorton and Bakewell. There are relatively few memorial stones.

Sheldon was anciently a chapelry of Bakewell, becoming a parish in its own right in 1872.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Hilary Chalmers on 7th December 2010.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Sheldon/StMichael.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library