Catholic Church, Tideswell (Immaculate Heart of Mary)

Recent Photograph of Catholic Church (Immaculate Heart of Mary) (Tideswell)

Mentioned in Kelly's Directory of 1932 as a small Roman Catholic Chapel served from Chesterfield, the Immaculate Heart of Mary is now a Chapel of Ease of Chapel en le Frith, and in the Catholic Diocese of Nottingham.

Prior to it being built, in 1830, services were held in a private chapel at Wheston Hall, the former home of the recusant family of Alleyne.[1]

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

References
[1] Turbutt, Gladwyn - A History of Derbyshire, 1999, p.1294.


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 25th March 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Tideswell/CatholicChurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library