Bishop Pursglove's Grammar School, Tideswell

Recent Photograph of Bishop Pursglove's Grammar School (Tideswell)

This building housed the Pursglove Grammar School founded originally by Bishop Robert Pursglove in 1560. The lower floor was erected in 1742 and the upper storey in 1824. The School was closed in 1930 deemed “hardly suitable premises for an up-to-date education at the present day” (see below), and the building is now occupied by Tideswell Public Library.

“The Grammar School, founded by Bishop Pursglove in 1560, continued its good work until 1930; and during the 370 years that it existed, many boys from the neighbourhood have received their education here, whilst it has attracted some number of boarders from more distant parts. But, amongst other things, the school buildings (the lower part of which were erected in 1742 and the upper storey in 1824) are hardly suitable premises for an up-to-date education at the present day. In another form, however, the good Bishop's work still goes on - for the ‘Robert Pursglove Educational Foundation’ will provide a Central School in Tideswell for boys and girls over 11 years of age:- to the building of which £3,500 comes from the Grammar School Funds: in addition to which it will provide Scholarships to Secondary Schools to the amount of from £100 to £150 a year. And the Pursglove Dole, or ‘Grammar School Dole’ as it is locally called, will still continue to help many of the poor of the district.”

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference:
The above passage is taken from A Guide to Tideswell and its Church, compiled by Rev. J.M.J. Fletcher MS FR Hist S.; Canon of Salisbury, (Formerly Vicar of Tideswell). The price was "One Shilling": no date of publishing is available, but it is believed to be early 1920s.


Image contributed by Andrew McCann on 16th February 2002.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Tideswell/PursgloveSchool.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library