Yeaveley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

YEAVELEY, a chapelry in the parish of SHIRLEY, hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 4 miles (S.) from Ashbourn, containing 250 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Independents. Here was a preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers, dedicated to St. Mary and St. John the Baptist, to which Sir William Meynell was a great benefactor in 1268, and which, at the dissolution, had a revenue of £107. 3. 8. The chapel, now called Stydd chapel, has fallen to ruins; but there are considerable remains of it.

STYDD, a township in the parish of SHIRLEY, hundred of APPLETREE, county of DERBY, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Ashbourn, containing 30 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Yeaveley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library