Abenhall

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ABINGHALL, a parish in the hundred of ST-BRIAVELLS, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Newnham, containing 215 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £6. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. J. Probyn. The manufacture of paper, which is carried on to a considerable extent at Guns-mills, affords employment to from three hundred to five hundred persons of this parish and neighbourhood. A foundry for cannon balls formerly existed at this place. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Here is a spring, the water of which is reputed to be efficacious in the cure of cutaneous eruptions.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Abenhall/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library