Bourton on the Water

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BOURTON-on-the-WATER, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of SLAUGHTER, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (S.S.W.) from Stow on the Wold, containing, with the chapelry of Clapton, 876 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Lower Slaughter annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £27. 2. 8., and in the patronage of Robert Croome, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is a modern edifice, having a tower at the western end, rising from a rustic basement, with Ionic pilasters at the angles, and surmounted by a balustrade, urns, and cupola; within the church is a colonnade of the Ionic order. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. The Roman Fosse-way passes through the parish, and about a quarter of a mile from the village there is a square intrenchment, where coins, and other relics of the Romans, have been discovered: a paved aqueduct was formerly visible on one side of it.

CLAPTON, a chapelry in the parish of BOURTON-on-the-WATER, lower division of the hundred of SLAUGHTER, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (N.E.) from North Leach, containing 118 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. James.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/BourtonontheWater/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library