Cam

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CAM, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, half of a mile (N. by E.) from Dursley, containing 1885 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's hooks at £6. 13. 4., endowed with £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church is dedicated to St. George. Several of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of woollen cloth; and the place is also, noted for the superiority of its cheese. A great part of the parish lies very low, and frequently sustains considerable injury by the inundations of the Severn. In 1730, Mrs. Frances Hopton bequeathed an estate for the erection of a school, and the education and clothing of ten boys and ten girls: the income is £163 per annum. In the reign of Edward the Elder, a battle was fought here between the Danes and the Saxons.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Cam/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library