St John the Baptist's Church, Chipping Sodbury

Recent Photograph of St John the Baptist's Church (Chipping Sodbury)

“The Chapel of Ease [of Chipping Sodbury] was dedicated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1284 to St John the Baptist (SMR 7637; DoE 1983: 5/158). The original chapel was much smaller than the present church. It did not have a tower, but probably had a small bellcote or turret and was built in early English style.”

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
Document prepared by South Gloucestershire Council - Avon Extensive Urban Survey - Archaeological Assessment Report.


Image contributed by Phil Draper on 24th May 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/ChippingSodbury/StJohn.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library