Little Sodbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

SODBURY (LITTLE), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of GRUMBALD'S-ASH, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (E.N.E.) from Chipping-Sodbury, containing 107 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £6. 10. 10. The Rev.W.H.H. Hartley was patron in 1822. The church is dedicated to St. Adeline. On the brow of a hill, in this parish, are traces of an ancient camp, probably of Roman origin. A slight skirmish took place in its vicinity previously to the fatal battle of Tewkesbury, between the forces of Queen Margaret and the advanced guard of Edward IV., when several of the latter were taken prisoners.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/LittleSodbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library