Hawkesbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HAWKESBURY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of GRUMBALDS-ASH, county of GLOUCESTER, comprising the tythings of Little Badminton, Hawkesbury, Hillcott, Hillesley, Saddlewood, Tresham, and Upton, and containing 1834 inhabitants, of which number, 389 are in the tything of Hawkesbury, 3 miles (E.S.E.) from Wickwar. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £20. 14. 2. The. Earl of Liverpool was patron in 1813. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has portions in the early and later English styles. Here is a small endowment of £6 per annum, being the interest of £100 bequeathed by Daniel Walker, in 1734, which is divided amongst the teachers of two or three small schools. Hawkesbury confers the title of baron on the family of Jenkinson.

UPTON, a tything in the parish of HAWKESBURY, upper division of the hundred of GRUMBALD'S-ASH, county of GLOUCESTER, containing 548 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Hawkesbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library