Elkstone

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ELKSTONE, a parish in the hundred of RAPSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 7 miles (N.N.W.) from Cirencester, containing 296 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £12. 9. 2., and in the patronage of the Hon. B. Craven. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is an ancient, though small edifice, affording a fine specimen of Norman architecture in the ornamented south porch, the east window, and the interior of the chancel; it has at the west end a square embattled tower in the later English style, erected in the reign of Richard II, The old Ermin-street traces the western boundary of the parish. A kind of stone is obtained here, which is easily cut when raised from the quarry, but becomes exceedingly hard by exposure to the air.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Elkstone/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library